Friday, July 2, 2010

On Monday June 21, I woke up 5 AM to pick the Mack family up from the airport. It was the least I could do for Annie “Mack Attack” who connected me with EAC. When I entered the bus, I found about 10 of the EAC children passed out sleeping in their seats. Driving to the airport was a treat because when we arrived in Kampala, it was dark outside. In the light, I could see Lake Victoria, God’s Flowers Primary School (This was my favorite school name until I saw Teletubbie Primary School today), and beautiful greenery. Alexis – EAC’s founder – was seated next to me. When we were approaching the airport, she pointed out where the United Nations headquartered many of their aid missions during the genocide in Rwanda (really pronounced Ronda by the way) and still use.

I was surprised to find my favorite funny man – Jengo – outside. He had been sound asleep at the front of the bus during the ride. After walking through security, we had a great conversation about how cool it would be if we were filming a movie in which we had to bust through security with weapons to save people in the airport. Jengo turned to me and said, “I know I could do the acting well.” I told him, “I know.” With his imagination and wit, he has the potential to be a terrific actor and hysterical comedian.

When the Mack’s entered into the lobby where we were waiting for them in the airport, I only saw 5 of 7. Annie was missing! Unfortunately for the “Mack Attack,” so was her luggage. Fortunately, it was eventually found. On the bus ride to Kampala, I told Annie and her sister Molly all about living in the city.

After spending an hour in the office with Nick, we reunited with the visitors at Nakasero Market – a Mecca of fresh fruits, vegetables, spices, live chickens, hanging meat, grains, and fried insects. Fried grasshoppers, a Ugandan deliquesce, is one of the foods I promised many people I would try before leaving Kampala. Seeing people plucking the wings off these creatures so they could be fried caused me to consider backing down from this pledge. I did not. On the bus, I fulfilled my promise. Zziwa – EAC’s driver and comedian – asked Nick and I at the beginning of our stay if we had ever tried grasshoppers. My answer was, “No. What does it taste like?” I expected him to say “chicken.” He said, “ . . . Insect,” smiled, and let out a giggle. Jeremy told me they tasted like oil. If you ask me, I will say “Insect Oil (and crunchy like fish gills).”

As the Coaster (bus) approached the EAC Children’s home, I could hear the sound of drums beating. Suddenly, the gates opened to reveal the EAC children in costume performing a routine from the Spirit of Uganda – an exhilarating display of dance and music. Children from the neighborhood joined our group outside the gate to watch. When they finished, we walked onto the compound. Each child greeted us with a handshake. Faith jokingly re-introduced herself to me. As we shook hands, Brian told me he would give me a hug, but he was sweating. I said, “Does it look like I care?” I so overjoyed by the performance I wanted to give every single performer a hug and a foot massage (the ground looked painful to dance on). Luckily, I was told sit down so they could perform a few more numbers.

Over the previous weeks, Nick and I had been told time and time again about the Spirit of Uganda. We had worked hard to produce drafts of models to measure the programs success. Yet, we had never seen the children perform. While I wish I could have seen the show on tour, I am happy I saw the performance in Uganda on the ground where the training happens. The organic nature of the setup allowed for the natural beauty of the beats and talents of the children to shine. Fancy lighting systems, sets and union stagehands were not needed for me to lose myself in this performance. The mob scene of children banging on the gate during the performance illustrates the amount of energy being produced by the children of EAC.

After the performance and lunch, we went on buses with the children back to school. Despite knowing the importance of school attendance, I did not want to say goodbye. When Jengo and Moses took me to see their dormitories, I asked if I could stay. Jengo said, “Sure. Physics is in the morning.” Unfortunately, rules would not permit.

- Feldman

No comments:

Post a Comment