Friday, July 16, 2010

"There's five minutes left. Lets just stay," I pleaded.

"That's fine, but Betty and I are leaving," Agie responded.

Nick nudged me and said with slight force, "Michael, just come.

We were at Punchline, a local pork and chicken joint, watching the finals of the World Cup. Spain had just scored, and I believed Agnes who was supporting the Netherlands had just given up. I missed her saying she received a phone call about a bomb exploding a mile away at the Ethiopian Village.

As we entered our final week in Kampala, I realized our final hill was going to be little scarier and steeper than the others. After trying to find out what was going on, I went to sleep uncertain, praying lost lives were none or limited. Not wanting to instigate fear, I made a mistaken decision to go to bed, find out the situation in the morning, and then call my parents. Meanwhile, at around 2 am our time, a dialogue between Ingram advisors, EAC staff, and our families regarding our safety began. News travels fast, and people in the US knew more information than Nick and I.

At 7 am, I woke up to the vibration of Nick's phone. Agie was calling to tell us to call our parents. In the next 20 minutes, I learned from my mom, dad, and brother Jeffrey, the extent of the Kampala bombings.

We went to Agie's home Monday night to watch the news on her TV. Statements from both President Obama and President Museveni of Uganda called the acts "cowardly." I cannot think of a better word. To bomb defenseless humans enjoying a game meant to bring us together is about as low as a person can go. It's hard for me to grasp how someone could think such acts of terror are a way to bring change.

In my first posting from Kampala, I wrote about a lively street dance between cars, people, and motorcycles. On Monday, the dance was tame. For now, the streets of Kampala are calm, but the people of Uganda are much stronger than those who strap bombs on their backs to kill innocent people. They will prevail. The bombings of Sunday night and recent bomb scares will become mere history. Restaurants and bars will fill with people watching soccer games, and the spirited dance of people and vehicles, which make this city contagious, will resume.

- Feldman

No comments:

Post a Comment